What does the future of US education look like to you? How about a potential plan of action, including costs and benefits of a better, more cost effective system? Forbes organized this very scenario, planning out an investment in US education to see how it would affect the nation’s GDP. With an initial investment of $6.2 trillion over 20 years, the outcome was outstanding–a payoff of $225 trillion (over 80 years).
Forbes had several education policy experts choose the top worldwide policies based on math scores and rates of high school graduation:
1. Teacher efficacy— Pay teachers a higher salary, which will pull in top college graduates to the profession. Monitor their performance and keep the best teachers around.
2. Universal pre-K— With only 52% of Pre-K aged kids attending school, children are not developing a solid educational base. Provide Pre-kindergarten for every American child.
3. School leadership— Raise principal salaries (to bring and retain top talent of course), have them attend training academies, and allow them to reform state laws and modify managing budgets–this would allow school principals to drive educational results.
4. Blended learning–We couldn’t agree with this one more! Provide computers for students and have teachers use digital media to enhance learning. Allow for differentiated learning so students can learn at their own pace. Facilitate training for schools and teachers to learn how to combine online learning with traditional learning.
5. Common Core/college readiness— We couldn’t have said it better–“Creating high national standards to ensure college-ready, globally competitive graduates.” Randall Lane, Forbes
At ScootPad, we directly enable two out of the five policies listed above. Based on the research done by Forbes, there is an enormous need for education reform in the US. Taking a few steps away from the traditional teaching style and bringing in digital media and creating a blended learning environment to support teachers, is where the future of US education is headed. With the support of a 100% Common Core aligned online platform like ScootPad, teachers, schools, and parents will see a huge improvement in their childrens’ learning abilities and achievements.
Seems like a good plan to us! What are your thoughts?
Visit Forbes for more information: